Fix the ac power adapter wattage and type cannot be determined 2024. The AC power adapter wattage and type cannot be determined. Hello – I could use some help, and know there have been similar posts. I have a Dell Inspiron 15-7569 and have really liked it. I have not had it that long, but long enough the warranty expired.
- Getting this message when booting up “Alert! The AC power adapter wattage and type cannot be determined. The battery may not charge. The system will adjust the performance to match the power available.” It will then say ‘plugged in not recording’ if you look at the charging icon in the bottom right.
- It was intermittent it seemed for a while, once in a while it would work (and still does on rare occasion) but we get this basically every time now, and so the laptop adjust the performance so using it becomes very slow.
- I researched significantly online and see others have dealt with similar issues.
Based on what I found I have:
- Updated the System BIOS
- Used the diagnostic tools, and it confirmed the battery is good
- The adapter seems in good shape and fine (and has the green light indicator)
- Disconnected the internal battery to fully reset – when I did that I visually checked the adapter plug and it all seemed okay
I’m really open to suggestions! Thanks.
Fix the ac power adapter wattage and type cannot be determined 2024
Quote: “And giving that there is no bent pin, no obstructions in either the male or female power connections, what can be the problem?”
Quote: “Other than a faulty battery of course.”
A bad AC adapter.
The center pin wire running from the jack to the AC adapter has been disconnected???
A bad DC plug on the laptop.
The contacts in the DC plug could have separated and are not making contact???
The center pin is used to communicate with the system.
One of its functions is to supply the information of the AC adapters type and wattage.
It is not the function of the battery to inform the system of that information.
Here’s the FIRST THING to do before spending any more time or money: just blow into the hole where the power jack goes. And wipe off the jack that goes into it.
Apparently a little dust or something got in there. I’d spent hours reading and trying to fix this issue, and this simple suggestion I found in another thread on this board is what worked. Battery is charging fine now.
Here are a few quick steps that you can try to resolve the ac adapter issue
Try each step and check if the ac adapter issue is resolved. If the issue is not resolved, proceed to the next step.
- If you are currently using a 3rd party AC adapter, It is strongly recommended that you use a Dell AC Adapter.
- Verify that there is no damage to the ac adapter, cables, or the power (DC) port on the laptop. Learn how to identify ac adapter damage on Dell laptops.
- Connect the ac adapter to another wall outlet (bypass any surge protectors or power strips).
- Always use the ac adapter that was shipped with the laptop. Dell does not recommend using incompatible or third-party ac adapters with Dell laptops.
- Ensure that the LED on the ac adapter is turned on. The LED indicator may be located either on the ac adapter brick or the adapter (DC) plug.
- If the LED is off, disconnect the ac adapter from the wall outlet, and reseat the power cord on the ac adapter and try again.
- If all fails, try using a new/spare Dell Ac Adapter, If that works, Get the AC Adapter replaced else motherboard/DC Pin might be at fault and need replacement.
- If the Ac adapter/Motherboard/DC-in port is faulty and your system is in warranty, Please use the “Get Help Now” option at the bottom right to start a LIVE chat session.
Note 1: If the laptop supports a USB-C ac adapter, ensure that the USB-C ac adapter is connected to the correct USB-C port on the laptop that supports charging. See the user manual of the Dell laptop to identify which USB-C port supports charging.
Note 2: Normal wear and tear is not covered under the warranty of the Dell product. Dell does not recommend using incompatible or third-party ac adapters with Dell laptops.
- Go to Dell.com/support/drivers, download and install the latest BIOS for your Dell computer. Learn about Dell BIOS updates.